Monday, April 8, 2013

Landing in Prague

It seemed like an incredibly long flight. I guess any flight seems long when you are 6'4. I felt like a sardine crammed into a can for 13 hours. I have never been able to sleep on a plane no matter what I have tried. I landed at the airport in Prague feeling like I had just been through a meat grinder. I felt as though everything was moving around me so fast. Hearing Czech being spoken all around me only added to the feeling of confusion. The airport itself wasn't like the fresh, modern looking airports back home. I noticed the colors were more drab and looked out dated. I reached in my backpack to grab the address I had for the language school where I was going to study Czech for the next 4 weeks. The school had also included the option of dorm style housing or a homestay that was arranged by the school. I had opted for the homestay for an additional $200 for the month, but for some reason that I can't remember, the person with whom I was going to be staying with wouldn't be around until the end of the week. I was going to stay in the school dorm until until I could meet up with the person offering a room. I made my way through the airport, not really even knowing which direction to go. I finally made it outside to where several taxis were waiting outside. I asked if anyone spoke English and the first gentleman just nodded. I handed him the address for the school. I was heading to Charles University, which is one of the oldest Universities in the Czech Republic. I got in the taxi and we headed off. Looking around, it seemed like there was graffiti on everything and overgrown grass. Maybe it was just the part of town we were in, so I thought to myself. We made it to the school and I paid the driver. I actually wasn't sure what I paid him. I opened my wallet and he grabbed a few of the bills I had exchanged and he was off. I got out and tried opening the door to the school, but it was Saturday and the door was locked. I rang the doorbell and waited, wondering what I would do if nobody answered. After I short time, the door buzzed and popped open. I went in, dragging my two suitcases with backpack on my back. I remember this old, musty smell and that it was stuffy. It was a warm summer day and I could tell that the a.c. was not working that day. It must be because it was the weekend, I thought to myself. I found the school administrator that had been expecting me. The guy told me his name was Jan and spoke functional English. He took me to my dorm room which was exactly that. A room with a bed, a desk, a closet and a sink. All looked like it hadn't been renovated since the early 50's. The community shower and bathroom were down the hall and it appeared that I was the only one staying there. Jan gave me a map and said to meet at 8 a.m. on Monday downstairs for my orientation. He left and I plopped down on the mattress in exhaustion from the long trip. The lumpy mattress and springs stabbing me in the back, I tried to sleep. My eyes were twitching from I don't know if it was excitement, nerves or overexhaustion. I laid there for about an hour in the hot stuffy room and couldn't relax enough to sleep. I decided to get up and talk a walk outside to find something to eat...better yet, a good Czech beer. I couldn't wait to walk outside and have a look around. Not knowing where to start, I took a right and started walking aimlessly looking for a pub. It felt good to be outside in the fresh air. I was tired, but excited to explore. I walked down the cobblestone streets until I found a main street along the Vltava river. I continued to my right and at last, I found a pub. It was a small, smoke filled pub with a nice view of the river and city landscape. It felt like I was thrown back in time. I looked at the menu and all was in Czech of course. The only Czech I could say was, 'pivo', meaning beer (one of the most important words to know in any language). The waitress couldn't speak a word of English and I had no idea what to order, so I just pointed to something about halfway down the menu, hoping that I was down far enough past apetizers and salads. I wanted something solid, since the plastic tasting airplane food the last 24 hours wasn't cutting it. I got my first beer and was proud that I was able to have success with my first attempt at the Czech language. I practiced the word 'pivo' several more times that afternoon at that little pub. I started to notice the river was starting to appear a little blurry, along with everything else. I thought it best be time to head back to my room. I paid the bill and headed out the door...but thinking, which way back? I wondered in circles for an hour or so, lost until I somehow found my way back. This would happen quite often the next few days...even the next five months. I made it back to my room and finally fell asleep, excited for what tomorrow would bring.

1 comment:

  1. It's too bad you can't get Internet on planes or your blog looks like it would keep me busy on the 25+ hours of traveling I have planned for today!

    Natashalh

    ReplyDelete