Thursday, March 28, 2013

Living in Santa Ponsa

I spent the majority of the time I lived in Mallorca in the small beach town of Santa Ponsa.  It is a small town located on the southwest corner of the island.  It is a small harbor with a beautiful white sand beach bordered by a small park of pine trees providing a shady escape from the warm summer sun.  Santa Ponsa is a popular vacation destination for a bit younger Irish crowd.  The main street of town is lined with numerous Irish pubs and music bars.  The beer I found here is relatively cheaper which attracts the younger crowd as well.  One of my favorite Irish pubs is the Auld Triangle, which has a bit more of a family atmosphere with nightly live music.  You will find the pub on Calle Ramon de Moncada as you are heading into the town from the main road.  Of the many Irish pubs lined up throughout town, this is one definitely worth checking out.  Heading further down the road you will find one pub after another advertising Irish food, snacks and t.v.s showing a Celtic football match, or my favorite, bare knuckle fighting.  It sets the tone for late in the evening after a dozen or so pints of Guiness.  The town has a bit of a rowdy reputation if you are still hanging around in the early morning hour.  It still is a fun place to be at night with plenty of fun bars to check out.  Another bar that is quite popular with the Germans is the Bier Koenig.  This is owned by a famous German pop singer who I think looks a lot like Mick Jagger.  He is the self-proclaimed, 'King of Mallorca.'  The Germans really love this guy and come by to get a glimpse and maybe on autograph.  The music is not my favorite, but to each his own I guess.  Another popular place is Cafe Katzenberger.  This cafe has gotten quite a bit of t.v. publicity and is worth stopping by as well.  Lots of German celebrities usually stop by.  I often didn't know who they were, but I could tell they were of some kind of status from the reaction of the Germans.

Santa Ponsa is a great place to swim in the summer months.  I used to jump in around May and swim until about mid October.  It's also where I tough myself to windsurf.  I purchased windsurfing equipment off Ebay from Germany thinking I was getting a bargain, or at least until I paid the shipping costs.  I spent a whole summer trying to learn how to windsurf.  I ran into several million dollar yachts durning my learning curve.  I apologize for any scratched yachts.  By the end of my first summer, I was able to easily maneuver between any obstacles.   There is plenty to do here and a nice view.  Definitely worth a stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment